For many students, the stress around test-taking can have an impact on their performance. In a social skills module created by our special education consultants, learn how to prepare your students and teach them to manage their stress!
Here are a 5 tips to share with your students as they prepare for a test:
- Read the directions carefully and thoroughly.
- Pace yourself – if your test is timed, read through the questions and try to space out how much time you spend on each one.
- Read each question in its entirety and all of the choices before choosing your final answer.
- Focus on the things you know. If you are stuck on a question, it’s okay to move on and come back to it once you’ve answered the other questions about which you’re more confident.
- Check your work. Be sure to leave a few minutes to go back through your test to ensure that you’ve answered all of the questions before you submit.
Download the activity guides, homework assignments and additional resources in the social skills module about managing test stress!
The special education resources on this page were authored by Watson Institute’s special education consultant, Andee Morris, M.Ed.
Social Skills Power Point Presentations
A pre and post lesson assessment is included in each lesson. Use of the assessment is an instructor preference. Many of the ‘homework’ pages for a lesson can be used as a pre/post assessment device alone or as part of the provided assessment. Each homework page can be checked by the instructor as well as the student.
Review all included pages of the lesson to determine what ‘assessment’ method will meet your needs. If the student is able to achieve a + in the majority of items of the pre-assessment, or if the student has been observed to display the skill topic of the lesson often, then the lesson may not be introduced or can be taught with a group as review and/or reinforcement.
If you have questions or concerns about the Watson Institute’s use of this information, please contact us.
Tips inspired by PBS Kids and Scholastic resources for children to help with test-taking.