The Education Center Sewickley at the Watson Institute is an approved private special education school that is licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to serve children ages 3 to 21 with autism spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy, neurological impairments, and other developmental disabilities. The Education Center’s classrooms are staffed by a PA-certified special education teacher and two support professionals.
A classroom team may consist of a special education teacher, paraprofessionals, and related service professionals such as speech and language therapists, occupational and physical therapists, teachers of the visually impaired, social workers, behavior specialists, and a school nurse. The staff on each team depends upon the needs of the students in the classroom. Additionally, there are “special” classes: art, music, and adapted physical education.
Services to Support the Transition into Adulthood
In September of 2021, the Watson Institute opened the Cupples Center. The Cupples Center was designed to help our students aged 16 to 21 develop the necessary skills to become more independent and confident so that they can better navigate in the community. Students are assessed in areas of daily living skills, basic academic skills, habits of wellness, workplace skills, and interacting with others. Goals and plans are developed based on the results of assessments. Skills addressed in our life skills, training, and leisure areas build on the students’ strengths and increase readiness to move into community settings and transition to adulthood.
The Cupples Center offers students In-House Vocational Experiences (IHVE), Community-Based Instruction (CBI), Community-Based Vocational Experiences (CBVE), social skills, and pre-vocational skills development. All of these special education transition services help our students become better prepared to transition to appropriate post-graduation settings.
Approved Private Special Education School
- Licensed to serve children with special needs ages 3 to 21
- Nationally Accredited by NCASES (National Commission for the Accreditation of Special Education Services)
- Outcome-driven special education teachers, staff, and support providing proven evidence-based practices for learning, social skills, speech, behavioral, and more.
- Outcome-based programs for students to learn, adapt and achieve their fullest potential.
- Proven evidence-based practices such as Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) support attention, language and social skills building, and augmentative and communication skills to improve social interactions.
- Outpatient behavioral health services are offered to students and families of students with special needs at Watson. Comprehensive services are offered but not necessarily a requirement for students enrolled in Education Center Sewickley programming.
- Programming supports positive post-secondary outcomes for students.
For more information or to refer a student to the Education Center Sewickley, contact Meagan Trimbur, M.Ed., Educational Liaison.
412-749-2805 or [email protected]Education Center Referral Form
Winter weather school delays/closings: Closings will be posted on local TV station, KDKA, and will appear as Education Center at Watson – Sewickley. Watson will send out alerts for closings through e2Campus.
The Watson Institute
Education Center Sewickley
301 Camp Meeting Road
Sewickley, PA 15143