At The Harry S. Tack Education Center Sewickley, Watson offers an approved private special education school that is licensed to serve children ages 3 to 21 with autism spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy, neurological impairments and other developmental disabilities. The Education Center’s classrooms are staffed by a special education teacher and two paraprofessionals. Each classroom team consists of the special education teacher, paraprofessionals and related service professionals such as speech and language therapists, occupational and physical therapists, teachers of the visually impaired, social workers, behavior specialists and a school nurse. Additionally, there are “special” classes: art, music, library and adapted physical education. These classrooms are staffed by a teacher certified in their respective content area.
Special Education School Focused on Outcome-Based Programming
Through our focus on outcome-based special education programs, the Watson Institute provides comprehensive special education and supportive services for children with special needs from age 3 to 21. The Education Center Sewickley provides children with special needs with an environment to learn, adapt and achieve their full potential.
Nationally Recognized Special Education Programming
- Watson is nationally accredited by NCASES (National Commission for the Accreditation of Special Education Services) for excellence in private special education services.
Special Education Expertise
- Watson employs outcome-driven, structured special education teaching methods in classrooms adapted to meet the special needs of our students.
- Proven evidence-based practices such as the Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) support attention, language and social skills building, and augmentative and communication skills to improve social interactions.
Comprehensive Special Education Supports
- Watson’s onsite specialists support a student with special needs’ Individualized Education Plan (IEP) as needed in the areas of speech and language, occupational and physical therapy, behavioral and vision support, and social work and nursing.
Preparation for Special Education Transition into Adulthood
- Special education transition services help our students with special needs to develop the necessary skills and confidence to navigate in the community.
- Through Community Based Instruction and social skills and pre-vocational skills development, students with special needs are better prepared for their special education transition post-graduation.
Parent Support Group
The Parent Support Group at the Watson Institute’s Education Center meets monthly on Fridays from 9:30 – 11 a.m. Parent Group will be cancelled on days when school is closed or delayed due to weather or teacher in-service.
Call Sal Schlieper at 412-749-2828 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Are you interested in a special education career at the Watson Institute? Check out our current openings today!
Winter weather school delays/closings: Delays will be posted on local TV stations KDKA, WPXI and WTAE and will appear as Education Center at The Watson Institute. Start time in the event of a delay is 10:30 a.m.
For more information and to refer a student to the Education Center Sewickley call 412-749-2805 or 866-893-4751 x2805.
Education Center Sewickley
301 Camp Meeting Road
Sewickley, PA 15143