1. Identify times when the student usually urinates.
2. Routinely take the student to the bathroom 15 minutes before the time indicated by data.
3. Follow a visual routine such as: enter bathroom, push pants down, sit on toilet, pee in toilet, wipe, flush, pull pants up, wash hands, dry hands then check schedule. Use objects, symbols, photos or words to depict the toileting routine.
4. Monitor the intake of fluids to assist in the success of a habit training program. Provide additional fluids about 10-15 minutes prior to starting the toileting sequence. Limit fluids during other times of the day.
5. Habit training is successful when the student eliminates within 2-3 minutes of sitting on the toilet and remains dry until next scheduled time.