If you’re seeking to encourage your child with special needs to complete tasks independently, try using visual cues and labeling for that task.
- Identify the task and the environment in which it will take place.
- Identify which elements in the environment to label.
- Attach visual labels to these items (using hook and loop fasteners or tape).
- Model for your child how to use the visual labels to guide them through their task.
- Be sure to positive reinforce them as they complete the task!
The special education resources on this page were authored by Watson Institute’s special education consultants and faculty.
If you have questions or concerns about the Watson Institute’s use of this information, please contact us.