The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time Transition Coordinator at Friendship Academy, located 4 miles east of Pittsburgh, PA. This position will work Monday through Friday.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Friendship, PA
- Provides leadership and technical support to the IEP team as it develops and implements the transition plan.
- Participate in classroom team meetings
- Demonstrate knowledge of Indicator 13 and accountability requirements under Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Coordinate and support student transition activities within the school and in the community as they relate to the students’ IEP post-secondary goals: post-secondary education and training, employment and independent living. Including career research and planning, job readiness skills, CBVE, employment search, internship placement, college planning and admissions, and financial aid processes
- Facilitate coordination and/or conducts formal vocational evaluations, career and interest inventories, aptitude and accommodation assessments with provided written reports of results
- Develop partnerships with local businesses and community organization for the purposes of Community Based Vocational Evaluation (CBVE), job shadowing and potential post-school employment
- Establish and maintains a system for collecting data and monitoring CBVE student progress (contact hours and progress towards goals).
- Adhere to the Watson Institute Safety Procedures, the Department of Labor Guidelines and individual agency regulations.
- Will assist with overseeing and supporting Community Based Assistants
- Provide staff professional development regarding the areas of transition programming
- Serve as a liaison between community transition agencies (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Make recommendations for pre-vocational and career education curriculum resources
- Maintain professional competence through professional development
- Travel to various sites and drive students in a van to and from various sites
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education or related field required
- Five years’ experience transitioning Special Education students to post-school outcomes preferred and knowledge of adult programming and services preferred
- The essential functions of this position require the ability to exert moderate physical effort, including bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching, brisk walking, and the ability to push, pull, lift, and carry up to 40 pounds
- Ability to physically restrain students for their safety and the safety of others
- Valid PA Driver’s License and ability to drive students in a van
- Current Acts 24, 114 and 151 Clearances