The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time physical education teacher at Friendship Academy, a special education school for students ages 5 to 21 with emotional and behavioral challenges. This position works Monday through Friday.
At the Watson Institute, we invest in our employees personally and professionally. Check out a few of the employee benefits you’ll receive as a Watson employee:
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program access for employees who meet the forgiveness program requirements.
- Ongoing professional development through continued education opportunities, training, and direct staff support.
- Access to Tuition Reimbursement to pursue further education and advanced degrees.
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and additional voluntary benefits.
- 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and match after 1 year of employment.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Friendship, PA
Physical Education Teacher Job Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate mastery of the content area, including relevant national and state standards in area of Physical Education
- Provide instructional leadership related to the content area to other Friendship Academy staff
- Provide instructional leadership related to teaching health skills and activities that transfer outside of physical education class
- Demonstrate planning and preparation strategies and skills
- Implement strategies for motivating and managing students (i.e. Student Behavior Management System)
- Demonstrate a range of instructional approaches and alternative methods of assessment appropriate for the strengths and needs of diverse learners
- Monitor and evaluate student progress
- Provide academic feedback to students along with regular progress reports
- Demonstrate communication and interpersonal skills appropriate for working in a multi-faceted program
- Provide appropriate safety instruction and make safety checks on gym equipment and gym areas to ensure safety
- Coach intermural sports teams
- Complete paperwork as required by the program
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor/Education Director
Physical Education Teacher Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Pennsylvania certification in the area of Health and Physical Education required
- Related work experience in field required
- Special education experience preferred
- Supervise students during emergency drills, play periods and community-based instruction; the ability to keep up with running children and/or to lift, position or assist with lifting students is essential to perform this task
- The essential functions of the job described herein require the ability to exert moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching and brisk walking, which may involve lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and material of moderate weight (40 pounds)
- Ability to physically restrain students for their safety and the safety of others
- Current Act 34, 114 and 151 clearances required