The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time Payroll Specialist with excellent communication and problem-solving skills who can process payroll effectively and efficiently for a non-profit organization. This position will work in the Watson Institute’s administrative offices at our Sewickley, PA location, located less than 17 miles north of Pittsburgh, PA. This position will work Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
At the Watson Institute, we invest in our employees personally and professionally. Check out a few of the employee benefits you’ll receive as a Watson employee:
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurances as well as life and long-term disability and access to voluntary benefits.
- 403b Retirement Plan with Watson matching employee contributions after 1 year of employment.
- Access to Tuition Reimbursement to pursue further education and advanced degrees.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program access for employees who meet the forgiveness program requirements.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and flexible spending accounts.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Sewickley, PA
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contacts employees/supervisors via email and phone to obtain electronic timecard corrections and approvals
- Delivers instruction/training to employees regarding the use of payroll-related systems including entry of electronic timecards, online access of pay statements, etc.
- Determines payroll liabilities by entering federal and state income and social security tax information, 401k transfer and direct deposits, wage assignments and garnishments
- Performs clerical duties such as filing, scanning, faxing, photocopying, etc.
- Data entry into Excel and the ADP payroll system
- Prepares Journal Entries, etc. via Excel as instructed
- Downloads and distribute/save bi-weekly reports as instructed
- Builds and run custom reports out of ADP
- Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages
- Remits tax payments by collecting and verifying data; preparing federal, state, and local tax reports, and W2 statements; initiating payment as needed
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests
- Maintains payroll operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes
- Manages payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Helps payroll manage all internal and external audits
- Other duties as assigned
Payroll Specialist Job Requirements:
- Associate’s degree in accounting or relevant field is a plus
- Minimum of 3+ years of Payroll experience with working knowledge of payroll best practices
- Strong knowledge of basic accounting principles and solid financial acumen
- Strong PC skills including proficiency in Excel
- ADP/WorkforceNow knowledge
- Possesses strong communication skills
- Keen attention to detail, organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills
- Strong work ethic, must be disciplined and focused to work alone or as part of a team
- Must demonstrate professionalism at all times
- Ability to enter data into various electronic systems while maintaining the integrity and accuracy of the data
- Payroll systems for 400+ employees experience desired
- Understanding of federal and state payroll regulations and requirements
- Previous experience using accounting software
- Proven ability to work in an environment that handles sensitive, confidential information
- Current Acts 34, 114, and 151 clearances required