The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time Music Instructor at Friendship Academy, a special education school for children with emotional and behavioral disorders located 4 miles east of Pittsburgh, PA.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Friendship, PA
Music Instructor Job Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate mastery of the content area, including relevant national and state standards in the area of music.
- Demonstrate planning and preparation strategies and skills.
- Implement strategies for motivating and managing students (i.e. Student Behavior Management System)
- Demonstrate a range of instructional approaches and alternative methods of assessment appropriate for the strengths and needs of diverse learners, including direct instruction, inquiry-based learning, and hands-on projects.
- Monitor, provide feedback and evaluate student progress.
- Demonstrate communication and interpersonal skills appropriate for working in a multifaceted program.
- Update Friendship Academy curriculum documents based on an established curriculum cycle.
- Order materials and supplies with respect to curricular area.
- Participate on committee as assigned (i.e. Arts Project Committee)
- Other duties as assigned (i.e. cab duty, classroom coverage, emergency substituting, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music Therapy or Music Education required
- One of the following is required: PA Teaching Certification in Music K-12 (preferred) or Certified Music Therapist
- Related work experience in field is preferred
- Current PA Acts 34, 114 and 151 clearances required
- Ability to exert moderate physical effort, typically involving some combination of bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, and brisk walking.
- Ability to physically restrain students for their safety and the safety of others.