Thank you for your interest. This position has been filled. Check out our Careers page for current openings!
The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time Community Based Specialist at Friendship Academy, a special education school for children ages 5 to 21 with emotional and behavioral challenges.
- Provide support and instruction to students in vocational and community settings.
- Work directly with students both within the campus program/building as well as directly supporting students in community-based experiences outside of campus. These may include local businesses, community outings, volunteer organizations, and adult agencies/transition placements for graduating students.
- Prepare and review CBI/CBVE activities; organize materials at a community partnership site, adult agency/transition placement and/or community setting.
- Maintain accurate and prompt data collection, participate effectively as a prepared team member, and contribute to the smooth operation of the Community-Based Instruction Program
- Participate actively in the supervisory process and engage in skill development activities
- Manage CBI/CBVE activities; implement review and monitoring procedures, necessary data collection, school meetings, and IEP requirements.
- Develop partnerships with local businesses and community organizations for the purposes of CBI activities
- Add summary information from CBVE activities to present education levels if needed
- Adhere to safety and health procedures, Department of Labor Guidelines, CBVE guidelines, IEP requirements, and individual agency regulations.
- Interact professionally with the individuals at all schools, the vocational partnership sites, and adult training facilities
- Travel daily to various sites and drive students in a van to and from various sites
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field required
- Three years’ experience working with adolescents with special needs working on functional life and vocational skills either in a classroom and/or work related setting preferred
- The essential functions of this position require the ability to exert moderate physical effort, including bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching, brisk walking, and the ability to push, pull, lift and carry up to 40 pounds
- Valid PA Driver’s License and ability to drive students in a van
- Current PA Acts 34, 114 and 151 Clearances