The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time Community Based Consultant to provide community based services to school districts such as: providing student transition activities in the school district’s community; liaison between community businesses and the office of Vocational Rehabilitation; conduct vocational evaluations, and consult and train school staff on transition regulations.
This position will work Monday through Friday.
At the Watson Institute, we invest in our employees personally and professionally. Check out a few of the employee benefits you’ll receive as a Watson employee:
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurances as well as life and long-term disability and access to voluntary benefits.
- 403b Retirement Plan with Watson matching employee contributions after 1 year of employment.
- Access to Tuition Reimbursement to pursue further education and advanced degrees.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program access for employees who meet the forgiveness program requirements.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and flexible spending accounts.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Consultant Job Responsibilities:
- Provide community-based instruction and transition consultation services to contracted schools
- Provide technical support to the contract schools’ IEP team as they develop and implement the transition plan
- Provide training/consultation to contracted school staff in the areas of Indicator 13 Compliance, Job Readiness, Adult Agencies/Services and OIDD & OVR
- Attend and contribute to IEP team meetings when asked by district supervisor(s)
- Conduct individual or group job readiness classes to prepare students for post high school living (such as interviewing skills, applications, resume writing, work appropriate social skills, etc.) if requested by district supervisor(s)
- Support student transition activities within the school and in the community as they relate to the student’s IEP post-secondary goals, when requested by district supervisor(s)
- Facilitate coordination of and/or conduct formal vocational evaluations, career and interest inventories, aptitude and accommodation assessments and provide written reports of results, when requested by district supervisor(s)
- Develop partnerships with local businesses and community organizations for the purposes of Community Based Vocational Evaluation (CBVE), job shadowing and potential post-school employment
- Establish and maintain a system for collecting data and monitoring CBVE student progress
- Assist with overseeing and supporting Community-Based Aides, and school paraprofessionals while in the community, if necessary and requested by Supervisor
- Serve as a liaison between community transition agencies (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation) when asked by the school district supervisor(s)
- Offer to make recommendations for pre-vocational and career education curriculum resources
- Adhere to each school districts’ safety procedures and the Watson Institute’s safety procedures, The Department of Labor Guidelines, and individual agency/work site regulations
- Maintain professional competence through professional development
- Travel daily to various sites and if needed, drive students in a van to and from various sites
- If needed, support Watson school programs with transition activities, as assigned
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education or related field required
- Five years’ experience transitioning Special Education students to post school outcomes preferred
- Knowledge of adult programming and services preferred
- The essential functions of this position require the ability to exert moderate physical effort, including bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching, brisk walking and the ability to push, pull, lift, and carry 40 pounds
- Valid PA Driver’s License and ability to drive students in a van
- Current Acts 34, 114, and 151 clearances