The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time Classroom Therapist at Friendship Academy, a special education school for children ages 5 to 21 located 4 miles east of Pittsburgh, PA. This position will work Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Friendship, PA
Classroom Therapist Job Responsibilities:
The Classroom Therapist is responsible, for overall management of the classroom milieu and is also responsible for assisting and implementing the academic program.
- Offer tutorial assistance in academics
- Model how to follow the teacher’s directions
- Model communication skills by providing clear directives and appropriate voice tone
- Maintain emotional control in the face of stressful situations and requests help when needed
- Assist in transitioning students to the appropriate classroom
- Escort students to the bathroom and monitors the student until they return to the class
- Is cognizant of the whereabouts of students assigned to the classroom at all times and requests help as needed from the crisis desk
- Complete late cab duty as scheduled
The Classroom Therapist is responsible for implementation of the school wide behavioral support system (Watson Financial) and monitoring of student goals.
- Collects and records behavioral data on each student daily.
- Completes progress notes on a daily basis prior to the start of the next school day
- Gives feedback to the students on areas of strength and needed improvement.
- Evaluates the communication skills and behavioral strengths and weaknesses of a new student and participates in the development of a Functional Behavioral Assessment, Behavior Intervention Plan and/or Individual Behavior Contracts for identified students.
- Communicates changes in the Behavioral Intervention Plan, Treatment Plan, and Behavior Support System to team members
The Classroom Therapist is an active member of the mental health team and participates in regularly scheduled treatment team meetings.
- Attends treatment team and is prepared with hard data from progress notes, behavior plans and the behavioral support systems
- Complete progress notes daily that documents clinical interventions as prescribed in the treatment plan
- Continually collaborates with the social worker providing feedback on the effectiveness of treatment interventions
- Participates in the development of the treatment plan
- Responsible for documentation of time outs and behavior reports
The Classroom Therapist is responsible for the safety of the group.
- Requests help as needed from the support and/or clinical staff
- Maintains the environment and reports potential safety issues
Performs other duties pertinent to the job as directed by the Program Supervisor.
- Responsible for reviewing e-mail on a daily basis
- Requisitions supplies for program activities
- Maintenance of a positive physical environment in the classrooms
Other duties as assigned
School Therapist Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Counseling, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or a closely related field is required
- Related work experience is strongly preferred
- The essential functions of the job described require the ability to exert moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching and brisk walking, and which may involve lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and material of moderate weight (40 pounds)
- Ability to physically restrain students for their safety and the safety of others
- Current Act 34, 114 and 151 clearances required