The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time special education support teacher at the Education Center Sewickley, a school for children with special needs ages 3 through 21 located less than 17 miles north of Pittsburgh, PA. This position works Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
At the Watson Institute, we invest in our employees personally and professionally. Check out a few of the employee benefits you’ll receive as a Watson employee:
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program access for employees who meet the forgiveness program requirements.
- Ongoing professional development through continued education opportunities, training, and direct staff support.
- Access to Tuition Reimbursement to pursue further education and advanced degrees.
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and additional voluntary benefits.
- 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and match after 1 year of employment.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Sewickley, PA
Support Teacher Job Responsibilities:
- Substitute in classrooms at various Watson sites as needed
- Follow lesson plans prepared by the teacher
- Organize and maintain a safe and effective learning environment
- Utilize appropriate behavior management strategies and techniques
- Communicate with staff in a positive and professional manner
- Work effectively within a transdisciplinary educational team
- Participate in Education Center activities
- Supervise the activities of the classroom aide(s) when working in a classroom
- Support teachers in any way directed by supervisor
- May have other duties in other Watson programs
Teaching Required Skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize and present written and verbal information about students
- Ability to organize the learning environment of students
- Ability to work as a transdisciplinary team member
- Ability to manage students’ behavior
- Ability to plan and implement student instruction
- Ability to supervise paraprofessional staff
Special Education Teacher Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree
- PA Teaching Certificate in Special Education required
- Two years teaching experience in special education preferred
- Most tasks require oral communication, visual and hearing perception, and the ability to get around the classrooms, cafeteria, gym, campus, etc.
- Supervise students during emergency drills, play periods and community-based instruction; the ability to keep up with running children and/or to lift, position or assist with lifting students is essential to perform this task
- The essential functions of the job described require the ability to exert moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching and brisk walking, which may involve lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and material of moderate weight (40 pounds)
- Ability to physically restrain students for their safety and the safety of others
- Current Act 34, 114 and 151 clearances required