The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time support teacher at Friendship Academy, a special education school for students with emotional and behavioral challenges located 4 miles east of Pittsburgh, PA.
At the Watson Institute, we invest in our employees personally and professionally. Check out a few of the employee benefits you’ll receive as a Watson employee:
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program access for employees who meet the forgiveness program requirements.
- Ongoing professional development through continued education opportunities, training, and direct staff support.
- Access to Tuition Reimbursement to pursue further education and advanced degrees.
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and additional voluntary benefits.
- 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and match after 1 year of employment.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Friendship, PA
Support Teacher Job Responsibilities:
- Primary responsibility is as a substitute when a Special Education Teacher is absent from the classroom
- Plan and follow the day-to-day schedule developed to support students and classroom teachers throughout the program
- Work collaboratively with Special Education Teachers to plan, develop and implement courses
- Implement strategies for motivating and managing students (i.e. Student Behavior Management System)
- Demonstrate a range of instructional approaches and alternative methods of assessment appropriate for the strengths and needs of diverse learners, including direct instruction, inquiry-based learning and hands-on projects
- Assist classroom teachers with the completion of reports
- Demonstrate communication and interpersonal skills appropriate for working in a multi-faceted program
- Update Friendship Academy curriculum documents, based on an established curriculum cycle
- Complete paperwork as required by the program
- Other duties as required/assigned (including coverage, monitoring of breakfast, etc.)
Special Education Teacher Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Active Pennsylvania Teaching Certification in Special Education required; 7-12 Certification preferred
- Related work experience in field is required
- Current PA Acts 34, 114 and 151 Clearances required
- Ability to exert moderate physical effort, typically involving some combination of bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, and brisk walking
- Ability to physically restrain students for their safett and the safety of others