Camp WISP (Watson Inclusive Summer Program) Information:
- WISP provides children with autism spectrum disorders ages 5-14 an opportunity to enjoy an inclusive summer camp setting with their typically developing peers. A Camp Aide for WISP will gain a valuable experience working with children with special needs. WISP runs for eight weeks, mid-June through early August, Monday through Friday. Camp dates and times can vary slightly based on location.
Sewickley YMCA, Upper St. Clair, and East Suburban YMCA Camps run June 15 – August 7, 2020. Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Upper St. Clair Camp closed on Friday, July 3, 2020).
Chatham University Camp runs June 15 – July 24, 2020, Monday through Friday, 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Mandatory Training Dates: June 9 & 10 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Education Center in Sewickley, PA
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Locations: Sewickley, PA, Monroeville, PA, Pittsburgh, PA, and Upper St. Clair, PA
Sewickley YMCA | 625 Blackburn Road, Sewickley, PA 15143
East Suburban YMCA | 2200 Rt. 286, Pittsburgh, PA 15239
Chatham University | Woodland Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Eisenhower Elementary School | 100 Warwick Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15241
Summer Camp Aide Job Responsibilities:
- Supervision and safety of children throughout the day
- Implementation of camp treatment plan goals
- Ability and desire to interact effectively with children with special needs as well as typically developing children
- Requires active play with children, including swimming
- Collaboration and cooperation with regular camp staff and specialized camp counselors
- Maintain therapeutic records and completion of daily data progress notes
- Support the development of the participant’s social skills
- Encourage the participant to join in all camp activities
- Communicate with the Camp Site Supervisor, other WISP Camp Aides, and other camp staff
Summer Camp Aide Job Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED required
- Experience working with children with special needs preferred
- Current PA clearances: Acts 34, 114, and 151
- Training is Act 48 credits approved
- Must be available for all days of the Camp