The Watson Institute is hiring a full-time Special Education Teacher at the Education Center South in Bridgeville, PA, located less than 14 miles south of Pittsburgh, PA.
At the Watson Institute, we invest in our employees personally and professionally. Check out a few of the employee benefits you’ll receive as a Watson employee:
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness and Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program access for employees who meet the forgiveness program requirements.
- Ongoing professional development through continued education opportunities, training, and direct staff support.
- Access to Tuition Reimbursement to pursue further education and advanced degrees.
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and additional voluntary benefits.
- 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and match after 1 year of employment.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at the Watson Institute!
Location: Bridgeville, PA
Special Education Teacher Job Responsibilities:
- Plan and conduct assessments
- Record and interpret assessment data
- Develop, maintain, and monitor present education levels, goals, objectives, success criteria, and specially designed instructions for Individualized Education Programs
- Plan, implement, and adapt instructional activities
- Organize and maintain a safe and effective learning environment
- Utilize appropriate behavior management strategies and techniques
- Communicate routinely with parents and appropriate school district personnel
- Work effectively within a transdisciplinary educational team
- Participate in Education Center activities
- Supervise the activities of the classroom aide(s)
- Other duties as assigned
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize and present written and verbal information about students
- Ability to organize the learning environment of students
- Ability to work as a transdisciplinary team member
- Ability to manage students’ behavior
- Ability to plan and implement student instruction
- Ability to supervise paraprofessional staff
Special Education Teacher Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in special education
- PA special education teaching certification in mentally and physically handicapped or specific exceptionality/area
- Two years teaching experience in special education preferred
- Most tasks require oral communication, visual and hearing perception, and the ability to get around the classrooms, cafeteria, gym, campus, etc.
- Supervise students during emergency drills, play periods, and community-based instruction
- The ability to keep up with running children and/or to lift, position, or assist with lifting students is essential to perform this task
- The essential functions of the job described require the ability to exert moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of bending, stooping, squatting, reaching, kneeling, crouching, and brisk walking, which may involve lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and material of moderate weight (40 pounds)
- Ability to physically restrain students for their safety and the safety of others
- Current Acts 34, 114 and 151 clearances required